Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Spring to Remember with Spotted Salamanders

Spotted Salamander from Pike County KY
I have been a sucker for creepy crawlies since I was a youngster. As far back as I can remember I was out and about, wading in streams, creeks and ponds and flipping over logs and rocks in search of snakes, frogs, salamanders and similar quarry. I would catch them and bring them home to keep and observe, much to the dismay of my mother. Even though she lacked the fondness for reptiles and amphibians, there was never a time that I brought something home to keep that she told me no. She fostered that interest and kept it alive in me. The only agreement that we had to make was that she wanted all of the cages in plain view where she could see everything and not be surprised when opening a dresser or closet.

One of the first salamanders that I can ever remember keeping was a Spotted Salamander (Ambystoma maculatum). Given to me by friend and biologist Dan Dourson, to me this was one of the coolest salamanders that I had ever seen! They are a large salamander and can grow up to ten inches in length. They are a member of the Mole Salamander group, and members of this group derive their name from the fact that majority of their lives are spent in burrows underground. In fact, they spend so much time underground that the only time that they emerge is on rainy nights during the breeding season to breed.


Spotted Salamanders are a species that breeds early in the spring on rainy nights. I will never forget the night that I got to witness this breeding season first hand. One night in early April of 2002 (I was still in highschool) I was setting at home watching the news with my grandpa. Thunderstorms were sweeping across Kentucky and it was an out right downpour outside. The telephone rang and my friend Dan (mentioned earlier) asked me if I would like to go look for Spotted Salamanders at one of the many small ponds where they bred on a nearby property. Five minutes later, I was on my way to meet him in my truck sporting my waders, raincoat and a flashlight ready for the adventure ahead! Meeting Dan in the driveway of the property we were to search, we left the dry comfort of the warm vehicles to search for these seldom seen amphibians. We made our way to a nearby pond by 9:00 PM and we stood there, staring into the water with our flashlights. The sounds of Spring Peepers, Mountain Chorus Frogs and Wood Frogs were deafening so Dan and I stood there with minimal talk. It was so loud we couldn't even hear one another! Just a few minutes later, a salamander swims up to the top of the water for a gulp of air. Moments later, two more surfaced followed by five more. Before I knew it, the water was alive with salamanders, surfacing for air, breeding and laying eggs. But that wasn't all! Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of movement. As my attention was turned to dry land I realized that I was surrounded! Everywhere I looked there were Spotted Salamanders making their way to the pond to breed! We were out there for several hours that night, soaked to the bone and enjoying this natural phenomenon that was just as impressive to me as the great salmon migrations in the Pacific Northwest. Everything came together perfectly: the time of year, the weather and the salamanders' mood for love. I have never seen the migration like this since then, and it may never happen again.

Spring is the breeding season for many different animal species, but unless you are a herpetologist (someone who studies reptiles and amphibians) you may never hear of this migration. But if you know of a pond void of fish, and can make your way to it on a rainy night this March or April, you may be fortunate enough to witness this event, much like I did as a highschool student during that Spring that I will never forget!

You can learn more about the Spotted Salamander by visiting this LINK

I can be reached by emailing me HERE